10 Lawmakers Named on Immigration “Hall of Shame”
By standing in the way of reform, these 10 Washington, D.C. lawmakers are standing against reason, human dignity and national security. By opposing American values, they have earned their place in the Immigration Hall of Shame.
Some highlights (or more accurately, lowlights) from the list below. Click on their name contact them immediately and tell them that you believe in real, rational immigration reform for America. Note, some have “zip code” checks on their websites so they can filter out messages. Be heard! Enter the provided zip code for their districts.
- Rep. Steve King (R-IA) — King favors an electrified wire border fence, arguing “we do that with livestock all the time.” King believes that undocumented immigrants can be detected from their clothing and “the type of grooming they might have,” and labeled the DREAM Act “amnesty.”
- Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX) — According to Lamar Smith, the guaranteed 14th Amendment right to birthright citizenship is a “misinterpretation.” (The zip code for his district is 78028)
- Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA) — Called for a national version of the Arizona SB 1070 and supports forcing hospitals to gather information on possible undocumented immigrants, and opposes increasing visas for skilled workers. (The zip code for his district is 92866)
- Rep. Peter King (R-NY) — You may remember him for scapegoating Muslim citizens. He fought to ban the use of Spanish by government agencies and authored a bill to ban drivers’ licenses for undocumented workers because they are “potential terrorists.”
- Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) — She’s spread the widely-debunked rumor that Phoenix is “the kidnap[ping] capital of the United States,” using that myth to justify her support for an armed presence on the border. She’s advocates Arizona SB 1070. (The zip code for her district is 49085)
- Rep. Brian Bilbray (R-CA) – He is leading the fight for an Arizona SB 1070-style bill. Bilbray has spread rumors that President Obama will issue amnesty by decree, and “the human smuggling, prostitution, murder and virtual enslavement of human beings” is happening because immigrants are “drawn to this nation by… taxpayer-funded jobs.” (The zip code for his district is 92075)
- Sen. John Boozman (R-AR) — His solution? Eliminating the Constitutional right to birthright citizenship, reducing overall legal immigration, and spreading rumors that President Obama “may grant amnesty through an Executive Order.”
- Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) — The top Democrat in Congress’s largest anti-reform caucus, he worked with Tom Tancredo to author the SAVE Act, which would deport 12 million undocumented immigrants, was backed by NumbersUSA, and would’ve taken a large step towards militarizing America’s border. (The zip code for his district is 28801)
- Rep. Candice Miller (R-MI) — She co-sponsored the deportation-only SAVE Act, and won the support of Lou Dobbs for her fear-mongering that undocumented workers will gain political power due to the Census counting “persons,” not “citizens.” (The zip code for her district is
- Rep. Ben Quayle (R-AZ) — Quayle made election promises to reduce the overall number of immigrants allowed in America, erect a Pacific-to-the-Gulf electrified fence, and send the National Guard to patrol the border.